Beach sweeps by the numbers...
In 2017, we held 65 beach cleanings involving 1,987 volunteers.
As of May 31, 2018, we’ve held 29 beach sweeps involving 854 volunteers.
Types of trash we find...
Total frequency distribution of beach trash by item for all beach sweeps where litter was counted and sorted, as of August 2017:
1. Butts & smoking related materials (packaging, lighters) - 71% of all trash
2. Straws & stirrers
3. Plastic bottle caps
4. Snack wrappers & food packaging
5. Styrofoam pieces
6. Paper & cardboard
7. Plastic fragments, all sizes
8. Aluminum cans
9. Plastic bags & baggies
10. Plastic bottles
- We've counted over 190,000 butts from Tybee's beach in less than 2 years and removed tens of thousands more that were not counted
- The Top Ten account for over 93% of all beach trash removed
- 96% of the Top Ten is made of plastic, including cigarette filters and styrofoam