Each year, we remove hundreds of discarded or forgotten toys from the beach and give them to a network of volunteers (kids and their parents), who created the Re-beachables program. They clean them up and place a fun selection in a reusable beach bag and offer them to visitors and residents as a gift. What a great way to re-use perfectly good toys and prevent microplastic pollution from entering the ocean.
You can support this and other beach clean up programs by making a donation to Tybee Clean Beach Volunteers here:
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What is Fight Dirty Tybee?
A: Fight Dirty Tybee was formed in 2017 by the organizers of Tybee Clean Beach, but for the purpose of preventing litter vs. just picking it up. We host litter awareness and recycling programs under the banner of ‘Fight Dirty Tybee’ and beach clean ups under ‘Tybee Clean Beach’, but it’s essentially the same volunteers combatting litter by a different slogan!
Q: What's different about Tybee Clean Beach Volunteers?
A: First, cleaning the beach is our primary reason for being, and we do it frequently - usually on a weekly basis. Second, we clean every section of Tybee's three mile long beach, including the Back River and Savannah River stretches, dunes, marshes, and tidal ditches. Third, we sort (and occasionally count) everything we collect until we can dispose of it responsibly through reuse, recycling, or municipal landfill. And finally - we use no plastic bags or gloves or plastic bottles as we do our work, since the goal is to reduce the amount of plastic on or near the beach.
Q: It seems like I need to commit to a lot of cleanings if I join?
A: We schedule lots of cleanings so that all of our volunteers can join us on the dates and times that work best for their lifestyle. Any trash removed from the beach is a very positive thing, so no amount of beach cleaning time is too little. That's why our motto is cleaning up Tybee one bucket at a time!
Q: Do I need to buy anything or bring anything to join a walk?
A: No! We supply a 5 gallon bucket (made from 100% post-consumer recycled plastic) and a state-of-the-art hand-held grabber for you to use while on the beach. Both are lightweight, and the grabber can be used repeatedly for long stretches without any discomfort. Dress according to the weather forecast, and remember that it gets pretty windy in the late afternoon. Windbreakers work great in the off season. Flip flops or shoes are recommended. We typically are on the beach for an hour or hour and a half.
Q: How do we participate safely?
A: Be sure to wear a mask (preferably, a high-quality, 3-ply washable cotton face mask), especially while gathering to get your equipment, and dropping it off. Practice social distancing when arriving and departing the meet-up location. Spray the handles of the equipment with our isopropyl solution, before and after use. Use our hand sanitizer before and after the clean up. And most importantly, use the hand-held grabber for everything!
- We operate with a sense of urgency and take direct action to remove trash from the beach, as any trash left behind gets buried, leaches toxins, gets ingested, or is taken out to sea, all of which causes significant detrimental impact to Tybee's and Georgia's marine environment.
- We believe the beach should be as free from the negative impacts of human activity as is feasibly possible, at all times.
- We pick up every bit of trash in the areas we deep clean, including in the dunes and wrack lines. We leave no trash behind, and restore the beach to its most natural state.
- We believe that a visible presence of identifiable volunteers cleaning the beach on a regular basis encourages other beach goers to pick up their own trash. Studies show trash begets trash, and cleanliness begets cleanliness.
- We believe that counting and sorting trash collected from the beach allows us to develop and test methods to reduce beach trash, and allows for powerful visual images and data-driven solutions in our efforts to educate beach goers on the need to reduce all forms of marine debris.
- We dispose of all trash we collect in a responsible way, and try to recycle or reuse as much debris as possible.
- We support and seek to collaborate with all individuals and organizations that promote a clean beach environment. We support all efforts to keep Tybee's beaches clean; we have a 'whatever works best' philosophy.
- We strive to make beach cleaning a fun, positive, and rewarding experience!